Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Cookie Cutter Cookies

I'll admit, I've only ever ventured into the world of cookie cutter cookies around Christmas. There is nothing like going home and crowding around the counter with my mom and my brothers cheerfully baking Christmas cookies or ummm.... more realistically, arguing over who makes the best cookies, who will be stuck with the toy soldier cookie cutter (that darn cookie burns every single time) and who used the last of the red sprinkles. Either way - a totally awesome time :)

But this time I had something a little more creative in mind. My cousin M is pregnant and due in late November. Super exciting as this is my first cousin to have a little nugget. Sadly, I was unable to make it home to RI for her baby shower but I still wanted to send her a little something to let her know I wish I could have been there. And then it came to me - baby themed cookies! Naturally I used it as an excuse to go to Sur La Table to browse the cookie cutter section - they seriously have great cookie cutters, usually under $1 each! Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself here. Also my cousin C's new show Pictureka! premiered this week on the Hub Network. So... I also had to make some celebratory cookies to ship out to LA.

Cookie Ingredients

3 cups of all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup of sugar
2 sticks of butter
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract (Optional)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350*

My prep!
Combine the flour and baking soda in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
Cream the butter and sugar together.
Add the egg and extract (s).

The butter, sugar, egg and extract doing their thing!
Slowly add the flour mixture.
Once combined roll dough out onto a well floured counter. (It helps to coat the cookie cutters in flour as well).


Bake for 10-12 minutes or just until the edges are just golden brown.
Allow cookies to COOL COMPLETELY and then frost to your liking :)
(Also, you can decorate with sprinkles and colored sugar prior to baking)

I decided to go with royal icing for the cookies. I'll be posting that recipe on Friday so check back!

The baby themed cookies for M!
The Hub and Pictureka! themed cookies for C
Close Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment